The kitchen is one of the most important parts of the home. It is where the food is prepared, dishes are washed, and some other chores are being carried out. This makes it a very important place that if well taken care of, can save the family and the home some money, effort, and time.
Below are some easy to follow tips that can any homeowner get the best out of the kitchen.
The first part of the tip has to do with proper storage and preservation of food items whether raw or cooked. One needs no rocket science to know that when foods are properly stored, money is saved as well as the time and effort that could have been spent going to the store especially as you are able to buy the foods in bulk and store them for a considerably long time.
- The freezer is a useful kitchen storage tool as it helps in preserving a number of food stuffs from bread to flour and the likes. You tend to visit the bakery less when you are able to keep your bread in the freezer for days and when it is needed to be consumed, you simply take it out and allow it to come down to the room temperature.
Weevils and other contaminants are prevented from your flour if it is stored in the freezer. This also prevents it from hardening or becoming lumpy.
- When you want to store your vegetables in the refrigerator, endeavour to keep them fresh and a way of doing this is to wrap them properly in towels to avoid moisture getting to the vegetables. Your onions should also be kept in the refrigerator especially as helps to prevent you from shedding tears when you slice them.
- For homes that usually have leftover tomato-based pasta sauce or such other leftovers, you can save yourself some good money by keeping them in the freezer and warming them in the microwave whenever you need to use them.
Cooking can fun but cleaning the utensils used can be sometimes stressful. The following tips can make the cleaning process faster and easier.
- Use some baking soda when cleaning greasy pots and pans. All you need do is to add some baking soda to the liquid and your job is made a lot easier.
- Use your old newspaper to save yourself the stress of cleaning after preparing your vegetables. Spread the newspaper over the work table and do your vegetables on it. You can easily roll up the newspaper and pack it up once you are done.
- When dealing with stubborn stains on your pots and pans, fine sandpaper is a very effective tool to use.
Accidents cannot be totally taken away from the kitchen making it very important to always ensure the kitchen area is as safe as possible. This can be easily achieved with the following tips.
- When you want to fry foods that splatter oil, turn off the heat before the food is placed in the oil and turn it on after placing the food in the oil. It will save you from getting burnt on the hands and even face.
- Avoid overheating oil or fat as the can easily lead to fires.
- In case you unfortunately get a burning pan, the first step is to turn the heat off after which you can cover the pan with its cover. Avoid throwing water into the pan.
You can never have enough of kitchen tips but the ones mentioned here can save you a lot and considering that they are easy to follow, there should not be any problem having a clean and safe kitchen and home as a whole.
Picture credit: Jennifer Grimes